A virtual space for Assumption Artists

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cathryn Cortesa--Roses In December

A Chinese Taoist philosopher, Lao Tzu, said "a good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving," and I believe the same is true for a good artist.

My work is about seeing the world in new ways. I believe that in the everyday, we lose a sense of the wonder, vibrancy, color and freshness of life that is right in front of our eyes- especially in the smallest and simplest of things. These works follow the journey of images that I’ve photographed in my travels, with a focus on the exploration of how we see and remember color. I am also interested in the relationship between how we see things in the world, how we remember or re-imagine them, and also how we could see them as if we were to remove our dull lens of habituated reality.

I have always been fascinated by the abstraction and fragmentation that occurs when we record things in our memory, and the reconstruction of these fragments when we recall our memories. These works reflect that interest. I used the idea of fragmentation and reconstruction to create several different versions of the images, piecing the colors found on the canvas together in a work of reconstructed assemblage. I wanted to try to capture the most colorful and interesting representation, piecing together how I remember the original image. My plans for each successive piece developed and changed as I attempted to work in an organic process, reflecting the philosophy of a good traveller. After all, as J.M. Barrie eloquently stated, "God gave us memories so we might have roses in December."

No comments:

Post a Comment