A virtual space for Assumption Artists

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lisa Corrigan Egan--Stating Like an Artist


Garbage collages. Three-dimensional assemblages. Found-art sculptures. The series subConversations can be described many ways, but to me there is no better description than Abstract Self-Portraits. Figure, form, and narrative take a backseat to experience, emotion, and memory. I splattered paint, hammered nails, and shattered mirrors, all in the name of "opening up" and creating art.

My finished pieces show the physical process of a psychological practice; I want people to see what my oldest memories, most embarrassing moments, and happiest experiences look like. It's not always easy for people to verbalize thoughts and feelings; we are guarded creatures. But the lack of overt narrative throughout my pieces allows for the viewer to connect. I hope my audience is triggered by the aggressive elements of the pieces, and is able to reach down and experience subConversations on the same visceral level I felt while creating them.

1 comment:

  1. i love it... expression is soo imp in life.. in whatever way..it helps to understand oneself and to recognize our reactions...

    good work

    ReplyDelete